First web page

I have the web server up and running which is great.

While reviewing my design, I found a few mistakes in the layout.  These mistakes are easily fixed with either a jumper wire or solder bridge, so I can keep on testing when the new PCBs arrive.

The web server isn’t working as easily as I had hoped.  I made a copy of the cats web page in the project, added my banner photo from this site and added html links in each page to point to the new page. With my picture added, It wouldn’t compile.  I am sure there is enough room in ROM, so I just need to figure out some settings. I removed the picture from the project and it compiles. I added an entry in my hosts file to point to smart.relay.com. When I go to smart.relay.com on my network it seems to work most of the time.  Speed and reliability will need to be worked on.

My new page unfortunately comes up blank. If I add .html to the end of the url my page loads correctly.  I went through the pages and added the .html ending to each link.  I don’t understand why this is happening this way.

I opened and modified the eagle.app.v6.ld  I changed the irom_0_seg  line. I changed the len value from 0x51000 to 0x80000.  This allowed me to add the banner photo into the project.  I don’t know if this can cause problems.  Assuming the value was at 0x51000 for a reason gives me reason to be concerned about it.  It’s possible that I have allowed data to overlap which could cause major problems. I need to learn how the .ld linker files work.

FirstWebpage

Web Server firmware

I am waiting on the stuff I ordered last week.  The CH340G chips are probably going to take the longest at 3 to 4 weeks.

To start with I updated my virtual machine to keep it current, I downloaded V1.5.0 of the Espressif SDK, and updated the lubuntu inside of the virtual machine.

I spent this week trying to get the chip running as a web server.  On the ESP8266 forum I found about a project called esp-ginx.  It is a web server with a lot of features.  For me it looks like a lot more than I need.  This is good for this design, I can cut away or ignore the features that I won’t be using or needed.

I downloaded the zip from github.  I ran make from the wrong directory and it failed to compile.  Finally realizing I need to run make from the project directory I was able to get it to compile without any errors.  I then uploaded it to my board and it didn’t work.  I was continuously getting fatal exception (0) on the serial port at 74800 baud.  Thinking that my RAM chip might be causing problems, I decided to remove it and try again.  Still no success.

I then tried to load the code into the NodeMCU board that I also use for testing. I got the same results with it.  I re-loaded my code into my board and got it back to working.  After many tries I finally realized tried putting the app folder in my home directory without any of the SDK files and it compiled.  I loaded this to my board with the commands: make clean, make html, make, and make flash.  The virtual machine had crashed and I needed to reboot my whole system before this worked for me.

This has been very frustrating just to find out that I didn’t understand the way to set up my files.  After I got the web server up and running, I added an entry to my hosts file on my computer.  I made an entry that pointed to he ip address of the board and associated it with smart.relay.com.

SmartRelay