I ran the annotate schematic tool, then ERC to look for obvious mistakes.
I got a bunch of errors because I had left pins unconnected. This is a reminder that I have to make sure these pins are set to outputs later. I marked each unconnected pin with a no connect marker and I am down to 3 errors. I replaced the battery connector with a battery symbol. It didn’t get rid of the error, I will have to check this connection on the netlist.
I then ran the netlist tool with default settings.
Then I ran the CvPCB module of KiCAD. I assigned footprints to the parts from the schematic. Most of these matched. For resistors and capacitors, I chose to use 1206 SMD for the footprints. There is no footprint for the ESP-12E.
I found a footprint online for the module, but KiCAD would not import it. So, I created a footprint and added it to the custom library for the project.
I chose the SW_PUSH_SMALL for the two tactile switches Reset and Upload. These are through hole footprints, I am thinking I will copy this footprint to the custom library and modify it to go surface mount.
I have only done very simple layouts. This will be quite a learning experience for me.